Key Program Dates:
Noting the requirement to provide key events for both the senior and youth crews we have developed a program with some key events designed for all. The key dates are now locked down:
- Navy Season Launch: Surfers Paradise Sat 5 Dec Hard hitting competition for all
- Navy Youth & Open Relay event: Surfers Paradise Sunday 6 Dec
- Major days racing: Nth Cronulla Sat 19 Dec. Open all divisions
- SLSA National Selection Event: Elouera Sunday 20 Dec. Test crew selection
- National Youth Development crew selection: Colloroy Young Guns Sat 9 Jan
- Navy Manly carnival: Sat 23 Jan. Open all divisions
- ASRL National Short Course Championship: Manly Sunday 24 Jan. Open and age divisions
- ASRL Open: Shellharbour Thursday 18 to Sunday 21 Feb
New Surfboat Announcement:
The committee have just confirmed that we will put a brand new surfboat up for grabs as a prize that will be drawn at the ASRL Open. Supplementary prizes of a set of L2 Oars and 4 off Carbon Sweep oars will also be added to the prize pool so 6 great prizes in all.
This is how the competition will work:
- At all Navy event days Australia wide each attending crew will receive 1 Token into the Hat
- At the Season Launch held on 5 Dec at Surfers Paradise attending crews will receive 2 Tokens into the Hat
- At the ASRL Short Course Championship event at Manly attending crews will receive 2 Tokens into the Hat
- At the ASRL Open attending crews will receive 4 Tokens into the Hat
- To be eligible to go into the Hat crews must have entered a Navy event that will double as joining the ASRL as a member
- For NSW crews as no specific Navy Series is available rather individual events you must have entered the ASRL Open before the date of the actual Token Day event
- In all cases you must be wearing your Navy singlets as a crew to be eligible
As you can see it will be possible to gain multiple Tokens into the draw so the more Tokens the better your chances.
How the prize giving works:
- The ASRL will make available a sum of $28,000 to the boat winner
- The winner can then negotiate the purchase with the boat builder of choice
- If the boat costs more the winner will be required to make up the shortfall
- If the boat costs less the winner can use the balance on other equipment
- Second prize draw is the set of L2 Oars then 4 draw prizes of a Carbon Sweep Oar
- Once the Boat is won that State becomes ineligible for the remainder of the draw and so on for each prize until the last prize is won. This will see one of the 6 prizes being spread into each of the 6 States
ASRL Open Shellharbour 2016We are very focused on ironing out all the bugs in this event. It is the National showcase event for boat crews and we are determined to make it live up to that reputation. Many initiatives are being discussed and will be confirmed in coming months but to provide some surety to member's as to just how important we are viewing the Open look at this starter list:
- We are deep into investigating the building of a purpose made Technology Trailer housing our computers, printers, back up PA system, Video Finish Camera equipment and inbuilt power generator. If we can stretch the budget to achieve this mobile unit it will make the event completely self-sufficient and allow instant location changes etc.
- We are talking to our Phone App people to build the next generation of making the App and the draw/result system seamlessly connected and complimentary. As the race draw is set or previous race results recorded they will automatically appear on your phone App under the tent
- If we get this right it will be available to use at all Navy events around the country that operate with a computer
- We are currently looking at an entirely new division format to trial at the Open. It will we believe make a lot of crews very happy in providing more races with divisions closer together in ability while providing the best ever racing quality for the senior top end crews
State by State Membership Forums:
With the advent of the National Review of Surf Sports it has become very clear after delivering at two forums that the delivery and collection process required some serious change. We have been speaking at length with the team from SLSA charged with this review and all agreed to making change for the rollout.
Watch this space for future opportunities to have your say and provide feedback
The website has been the bane of all our lives in its user unfriendly performance. The issues are mostly around the hosting company so our webmaster is currently working on changing our hosting arrangements which fingers crossed will speed everything up.
Elected Committee for the coming season:
Bert Hunt - President
Alexandra (Alex) Hill - Secretary
Don (Bristles) Alexander - Treasurer
Don Cotterill - Vice President
Grant Wilkinson - Vice President
Geoff Mathews - Vice President
Mick Lang - Vice President
Nathan Perry - Vice President
Tim Mcfarlane - Vice President
Thanks to all that attended the AGM and those that voted in the election process. The current committee were strongly supported to continue the task of running the business for the membership.
See everyone on the beach.